vt. 印;给…以深刻印象;使铭记;
n. 印象;印记;
(1)impress为及物动词,意为“使……明白重要性,留下了深刻的印象”。
The film impressed me deeply.
那部影片给我留下了深刻的印象。
His words impressed deeply on my memory.
他的话深深的印在我的脑海里。
What impressed me most was their brave spirit.
给我印象最深的是他们的无畏精神。
(2)其被动式be impressed很常用,后可接with/by.
I was greatly impressed by/with the headmaster”s speech.
我被校长的话深深的感动了。
She was deeply impressed by/with the scenery in Guilin.
桂林的景色给她留下了深刻美好的印象。
(3)表示”铭刻”.使某人牢记某事”要说成”impress on/upon sb. Sth.”或说成impress on/upon sb.+that从句”.如:
-My father impressed on me the value of hard word.
我父亲叫我牢记勤奋工作的价值.
-His parents tried to impress on me him that it is necessary to be honest..
他父母尽力让他牢记正直的必要.
Please impress what you see on your mind.
请把你见到的牢记在心。
4) impress 的名词形式为impression,”给某人留下深刻印象”要说成”leave(make) an impression on sb.”不可说:”give an impression on sb.”.
1. A style consultant will demonstrate how to dress to impress.
时尚顾问将示范如何穿着以给人留下深刻印象。
2. The speaker tried hard to impress the audience but left them cold.
讲演者试图感动听众,但他没有打动听众的心.
3. The boys were vying with each other to impress her.
小伙子们争着给她留下好印象.
4. Time has left its impress upon him.
岁月在他身上留下了印记.
5. The size of the castle and its commanding position still impress the visitor today.
城堡很大,加上其居高临下的位置,至今仍让参观者赞叹不已。
6. They are notorious for resorting to trickery in order to impress their clients.
他们为了打动客户不惜坑蒙拐骗,因而声名狼藉。